you love people and understand them? Do you like catering to the
needs of others? Do some of these qualities from part of your personality?
If good communication skills and an outgoing personality is also
a part of your persona, then hospitality industry is the perfect
career. With the boom in tourism and travel industry, the hospitality
industry has grown rapidly in the past decade and is still growing.
The demand for manpower in this industry is on the increase. Hospitality
industry offers career choices in hotels, restaurants, airlines
etc. Here is a list of industries where you can make a career.
• Restaurant Management/Fast Food Joint Management.
• Club Management/Recreation and Health Centre Management.
• Cruise ship Hotel Management.
• Institutional and Industrial Catering.
• Airline Catering and Cabin Services.
• Hotel and Catering Industries.
• Hotel and Tourism Associations.
• Catering Departments in blanks and Insurance house.
• Govt. owned catering departments e.g. railway, armed forces,
ministerial conventions etc.
• In food, confectionery, beverage production industries.
A degree in Hotel Management is usually the basic requirement to
take the first step towards a career in the hospitality industry.
Hotel management as a career stream is paying.
The National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology
( NCHMCT ) is a Registered Society under the Ministry of Culture
and Tourism, Govt. of India. The Council regulates courses in Hospitality
Management through structured courses of studies at 24 Industries
of Hotel Management and 8 Food Craft Institutes located in different
parts of the country. The council offers eleven different Professional
Programms designed for the Hospitality and service sector.
The eligibility criterion to enter a course in Hotel Management
is 10+2. Institutes coming under the National Council offer a 3
– 4 year diploma course while private institutes offer a 4
year Bachelor’s Programme. The selection procedure in most
of these institutes comprises a test followed by a group discussion
and interview. Here is a list of some of the Institutes in India
that offer a diploma or degree programme in Hotel Management;- National
Council for Hotel Management, Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition,
· Institute of Hotel Management, Aurangabad.
· Welcomegroup Graduate School of Hotel Management, Catering
and Nutrition, Delhi.
· Oberoi School of Learning and Development, Delhi
· International Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata.
· NIPS School of Hotel Management, Kolkata.
· Institute of Hotel and Restaurant Management, Kokata.
· Subhas Bose Institute of Hotel Management, Ghaziabad.
· Canan School of Catering and Hotel Management, Chennai.
· Moti Mahal Academy of Hospitality Education, Mangalore.
· Shri Shakti College of Hotel Management, Hyderabad.
LIST IS INDICATIVE.
degree in Hotel Management is however not absolutely essential for
working in the hospitality industry. The industry requires trained
staff for all these departments:-
Reception: This is the ‘front end’ of
the hotel where candidates with good personality, patience and good
grooming will excel.
Customer Relations: The public relations function will receive all
the complaints and the occasional praise. They will need to co-ordinate
with the other departments to maximize customer satisfaction. Candidates
must have amiable personality and good communication skills.
Accounting and Financial Management: Commerce graduates
and accounting professionals can find work here in accounting, cash
flow and managing the finances.
The Back Office: The Reservations officer in the
back office must be qualified in ticketing, basic geography, calculating
time zones, the international codes used by the hotel and airline
Food and Beverage: A degree in nutrition or food
technology will help you get a job in this industry.
Horticulture: The grounds of a hotel or resort are
embellished with beautiful gardens and exercise areas.
Communication and IT: Communication Engineers and
System Administrators can find openings in this area of hotel management.
Whatever your qualification or the area you choose to specialize in,
the pre-requisite for a career in this industry is to be able to handle
people, it is about understanding people and their requirements. There
is also a requirement for general management skills, which means that
hospitality professionals have to continuously update their knowledge
base and adopt innovative and out-of-the-box thinking as well.
Once you have the requisite qualifications, sky is the limit for your
career in this booming industry. Besides, the environment & working
conditions are attractive and there is opportunity to meet all types
Abhinay Kumar Sharma
(The author is a Freelance journalist)